Sunday, November 16, 2008

It's harder than it looks

Philip trying to open the coconut.
He finally got it open.

Sophie enjoying a coconut smoothie.

I make alot of smoothies. So many of my recipes call for coconut water or meat. So i decided to try it out. I researched how to open it on you tube. It looks so easy. Four hits with a cleaver and then pop the top off. Right?....Well, if I had the cleaver, maybe it would have been.
After several attempts with a cook's knife, philip finally got it open. I was so surprised by the water and the meat. Neither tasted like the coconut i knew, the kind from the store. The water was basically bland and the soft mushy meat had no flavor.
The smoothie was great: a healthy dessert choice.
1 cup coconut water
the meat from the coconut
about 2 cups of honeydew melon
about 5 strawberries
agave to taste