Monday, October 15, 2007

blog action day

Today, October 15th, bloggers around the world will unite to put a single important issue on everyone’s mind - the environment. Every blogger will post about the environment in their own way and relating to their own topic. The aim is to get everyone talking towards a better future.
(www.blogactionday.org)

We are all aware of the new "Green." In fact, it's hip to be green. We all talk about how important it is, but are we really doing something about it. If each of us tries to change just a little, think of the consequeces. My thing is recycling. In addition to home, at school, every piece of paper trash or scraps from my class goes into my recycle bin. Once filled, i take it home and send it on to the recycle center. Soon, I will start making paper with the scraps to show the students just how recycling really works. I did this last year and the students made cards from the recycled paper. This is just one way that i am trying to help.

Another simple thing i do is turn off the water when i brush my teeth. Doesn't seem like much, but the next time you brush your teeth, plug the drain and see how much water you waste.

In the future?????? My goal is to learn to compost. It seems so easy to do it with worms, however, yuck....i hate worms. But why should all of the edible scraps go into the garbage. (actually, i throw most of them in my creek for the turtles, ducks, fish, snakes, and the alligators). In a worm compost, the worms eat the scraps and their poop becomes rich soil.

So how are you helping?