Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lost and Found




Almost every morning, I take Buddy on a walk. However, since this is my summer vacation, sometimes I tend to sleep too late. That means it's too hot to walk outside. Most days we do get the exercise, though.


So what do you do on your walk. We all know what the dog does....he jumps up and down off the curb, he walks on the curb, he pees on everything, he sniffs everything, and runs through the puddles.

I don't listen to music, this is really my time to just think and relax. My eyes are always alert, though, because I am the lost and found treasure master. Everyday, I find interesting things.
Today I found a tennis ball for Buddy, a penny for charity, lots of nuts and bolts, and one nail which I will prevent someone from having a flat tire.
Yesterday was a better find, a great floppy camoflauge hat, that had been run over about a million times. I picked it from the middle of the street, washed it, and it's good as new. Last week my finds were 10 beautiful glass stones, which i will use in my kindergarten class when we read "Stone Soup."

In the past, I have found several loaded wallets, a purse, a bank bag filled with money and checks, a 3 carat diamond ring, a diamond chipped tennis bracelet, cash of all sorts, golf balls, and all kinds of other miscellaneous things. Almost all of the items made it back to the owners, with the exception of the bracelet and loose change.

Marboro cigarettes use to have this program where they have a little points coupon on their box. The points are collected and you can trade them in for merchandise. No one in my family smokes, nor did any of my friends. When my kids were little, we would pick up the boxes from the street, tear off the coupon, and we ended up with all kinds of "Marboro stuff". We were able to freely purchase luggage, t-shirts, etc . Imagine, all this from people's trash, which they throw on the ground. During the course of my walk around the neighborhood, I'd get at least 5 coupons.
So we not only collected the coupons, we were cleaning up the streeet, as well.