Sunday, September 23, 2007

lost friend


Yesterday was Yom Kippur, the day of atonement. It is customary to ask for forgiveness from anyone you may have insulted or hurt.


Four years ago, a very very good friend of mine divorced, left town, and started a new life, leaving her past behind. Four years went by, and not a week went by that i didn't think of her. I respected her choice and gave her space. But i missed my friend. Over and over again, i wrote a letter to her in my head, but never seemed to get it on paper......until Friday.


I kept it simple, wrote from the heart, wished her a happy new year, and asked her to forgive me if I had hurt or offended her in some way. I didn't know why she cut all ties from her past, including me, but i knew that it was time to open the door to our friendship.


Tonight, we spent 2 treasured hours on the phone together. Life is just too short not to go after the things we want and need. I wanted my friend again and I got her back.