Friday, September 28, 2007

ouch

Buddy is taking care of my foot.


When your first few steps out of bed in the morning cause severe pain in the heel of your foot, you may have plantar fasciitis (fashee-EYE-tiss).


It's an overuse injury affecting the sole or flexor surface (plantar) of the foot. A diagnosis of plantar fasciitis means you have inflamed the tough, fibrous band of tissue (fascia) connecting your heel bone to the base of your toes.

You're more likely to get the condition if you're a woman, if you're overweight, or if you have a job that requires a lot of walking or standing on hard surfaces. You're also at risk if you walk or run for exercise, especially if you have tight calf muscles that limit how far you can flex your ankles. People with very flat feet or very high arches are also more prone to plantar fasciitis.
The condition starts gradually with mild pain at the heel bone often referred to as a stone bruise. You're more likely to feel it after (not during) exercise.


Well, let me tell you, it's not mild pain and feels like a stone is in the heel. I accidentally stepped on the door jam last week, and i saw stars. So today, i went to see the doctor. I diagnosed myself with the Internet, but he confirmed it. Plantar fasciitis. He numbed my foot up and gave me some sort of injection.

I have been fitted for an orthotic device like a rubber heel pad. My foot is taped into a specific position. At night, i have to wear a positional splint when i sleep. Finally, it's best to wear high healed shoes. That should be interesting teaching kindergarten and being on my feet the whole time.

Hopefully all of these things will prevent surgery to correct it and prevent a spur from appearing. So, for now, no treadmill.


But the best part of all this was the experience with the doctor. Unfortunately, medical care isn't like it use to be. We call doctors and get machines that answer....we have to push lots of button, and then wait for a call back. We wait and wait. Well, I have found a fabulous podiatrist, if you need one i will gladly give you his name and number This doctor and his office staff were so pleasant, it was an experience like "the good old days". From the time i made my appt, the doctor visit, the x-ray and ultrasound tech, the person who wrapped my foot, the person who made the foot impressions, the billing dept, etc......one was nicer then the next. I told the doctor how much i appreciated being treated so well. Everyone in that office seemed to love their job. They were all so happy and kind. Thank you dr. W.