Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Poisonous Plants

angel's trumpet

oleaner


azelea


jassemine


Did you know there are approximately 150 poisonous plants. Among them, there are about 50 which are considered the MOST POISONOUS. I am in the midst of landscaping my whole yard and want to make sure that none of my plants can do any harm. I was shocked to learn that some of my favorites were, such as azalea, jassemine, lilies,....all which are so common in our area. I had alot of these in my yard at my prior house. My vet has also told me that Sago Palm is extrememly deadly for dogs.

Below is a list of the MOST POISONOUS plants in North America. If you are curious about wild edibles, then I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the ones that are most prevalent in your area. Enter the names of the plants into an Internet based search engine to see what they look like.

Aconitum, Autumn crocus, Angel’s trumpet, Azalea, Bittersweet nightshade, Bleeding heart, Black locust, Black nightshade, Buttercup, Caladium, Caster Oil plant, Daffodil, Daphne, Darnel, Datura, Deadly nightshade, Deathcamas, Delphinium, Dogbane, Doll’s eyes, Dumbcane, European Holly, False Hellebore, Foxglove, Hemlock, Henbane, Horse chestnut, Ivy, Jequirity, Jerusalem cherry, Jimson weed, Laburnum, Larkspur, Lilies, Manchineel, Mayapple, Monkshood, Moonseed, Oleander, Poison-ivy, Poison-oak, Pokeweed, Privet, Southwest coral bean, Star of Bethlehem, Water hemlock, White snakeroot, Yellow flag, Yellow jessmine, Yew.