Saturday, April 14, 2007

Food for thought

I don't know what's gotten into me lately, but i'm on this new eating kick. As many of you know, i was a vegetarian for many years. Animal protein is my weak point, i really don't like chicken or meat, but I eat it to get the protein benefits. The more time i spend on the internet, reading my favorite blogs, the more i've been reading about raw, vegan and vegetarian diets. It totally makes sense, and i do prefer vegetarian. So little does eddie know, but i'm going to start sneaking some of these new recipes back into our meals. http://www.aniphyo.com/. Another good website is: http://www.alissacohen.com/about_press.html. Watch the Tyra Banks video and you'll be converted. I guess if we went vegetarian, then we wouldn't have to put 3 ovens in the new kitchen. (2 meat, 1 dairy). Eddie didn't adapt to that suggestion. Ok, so for now, baby steps. (he's already use to me eating all of this weird stuff, anyway). We did have a great lunch: grilled onions and portabello mushrooms, topped with mozz. cheese, sandwiched on Milton's bread. Yummy.

So this is how my friday night shabbos dinners are:

Ileya eats only organic chicken, no beef, no diary.
Adam, Dana, and me are also lactose intolerant.
Eric and Heather won't eat hydrogenated oils or artificial sweeteners.
Dana can't eat gassy foods b/c she's nursing.
Eddie and Philip have high blood pressure: no salty foods.
Roz can't have nuts, seeds or msg.
Yetta can't have sugar and prefers low fat.
Jules needs low fat and heartburn friendly.
Josh hates fish, except for gefilta fish.
Sophie just wants the boob.


1/2 of us are lactose intolerant
1/2 of us are low fat
1/2 of us are organic
1/2 of us have heartburn

I'm the cook, so i get to pick the food:

My next shabbos dinner i'm serving water and lettuce. Organic, of course.